As part of the work of the new collective agreement we have done the work of making a joint commitment of ALTA, CUPE, ALELA and SD10 in ensuring a non-sexist environment in School District 10 (Arrow Lakes).
A non-sexist environment is one in which there is no: “discrimination against employees based on sex, gender identity or expression, including portraying them in gender stereotyped roles, refusing to acknowledge their identify, or by omitting their contributions.”
As part of our joint commitment, we endeavor to:
- Promote Gender Equality: We will work together to eliminate gender-based disparities in hiring, pay, and promotions. We are committed to creating equal opportunities for all employees.
- Prevent Harassment and Discrimination: We will not tolerate any form of harassment, discrimination, or bias based on gender or any other protected grounds. We will actively investigate and address any complaints promptly and confidentially.
- Promote Education and Training: We will endorse ongoing education and training to our employees and union members to raise awareness about sexism and promote gender sensitivity and allyship.
- Maintain Transparency and Accountability: We will review our progress toward achieving a non-sexist workplace and hold ourselves accountable for any shortcomings.
- Encourage Employee and Union Involvement: We encourage all employees and union members to actively participate in creating a workplace culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome feedback and suggestions for improvement.
We aim to create a workplace where all employees, regardless of their sex, gender, gender identify or expression feel safe, valued, and empowered. We believe that through collaboration with our partner groups we can strengthen our school district and contribute to a more equitable society. We invite all employees and members to join us in this commitment. Together, we can build a better and more inclusive future for all.